Holistic and Biological Dentistry.
Seven Springs Dental is an environmentally friendly practice located in Kearneys Spring, South Toowoomba and is certified by the eco dentistry association and as such we don’t use dental amalgams.
Dental Amalgams have been banned or restricted in some countries, and in Australia there is still an extensive debate about the safety of dental amalgam fillings.
At the moment the decision of whether or not to use amalgam fillings is still a decision between the patient and the dentist. We follow very strict rules for amalgam removal and waste disposal to prevent mercury contamination for our patients, our team and the environment. We have researched and acquired the technology and the protective equipment to do these procedures safely.
We are mindful of the effect certain treatments can have on our patients and want to be able to give patients whom request this holistic approach to their treatment the best possible care. Our practice has been purpose built and designed to care for our patients using advanced technologies, techniques and equipment.
If you are concerned about the presence of mercury in your fillings and want them replaced, you need to know that some precautions must be taken at the time of treatment to minimise the contact with this heavy metal.
Our Dental Practice in Toowoomba has been designed keeping this process in mind. Key components of our practice which are dedicated to Holistic and Biological Dentistry are:
- suction motors and air compressors that are located outdoors to ensure suctioned during the amalgam removal or during any other restorative procedure (containing mercury vapors, different germs and substances) will not re-enter the practice environment.
- separate air supply for the patient through oxygen cannulas in order to reduce inhalation of contaminated air.
- the placement of a Rubber Dam during for amalgam removed (a silicone dam is placed as mercury can penetrate latex)
- amalgam specific burrs are used when cutting mercury fillings and the fillings are removed with a blocking technique rather than grinding.
- high volume water irrigation techniques are used when removing amalgam which is complimented with the high capacity suction system.
- well researched products that hold excellent biocompatibility and contain no classic monomers such as BisGMA, TEGDMA, HEMA or BPA.
- pre-operative and /or post-operative supplement support can be coordinated by the patient’s holistic professional.
We consider these precautions a very important factor in preserving everyone's general health inside and outside of the treatment room.
If you have questions about mercury toxicity, we think that is a very genuine concern and we are very happy to discuss this with you. To review our Holistic Dentistry information click here or you can find out more here: http://www.iaomt.org.